Manitoba has proclaimed into force the Consumer Protection Amendment Act (Cell Phone Contracts).
The Act applies to contracts for cell phone services with consumers in Manitoba. Cell phone services include wireless communication services, including voice and data. As mentioned, the Act only applies to agreements with consumers, who are those who purchase the goods and services primarily for personal, family or household purposes. The Act will not apply if the subscriber purchases the services primarily for business use.
Among the highlights:
- Advertisements and contracts must set out the minimum monthly cost of the services.
- The minimum monthly cost must be set out as an “all-inclusive” price.
- Consumers may cancel a cell phone contract at any time for any reason.
- Cancellation fees are limited to the prorated value of any cellphone provided to the consumer for free or at a reduced cost as an incentive for signing the contract.
- Before selling the consumer an extended warranty, the supplier must explain any other warranties that automatically apply.